Outer Journey
Having a free day to explore the city was restful and helped fill in any missing gaps that we had missed thus far. Emma, Anna, Molly, and I decided we wanted to see the Garden District that Emma and Anna had done their E-Travel guide on. We used the Jazzy Passes to head to the district. On our way, we found a Fresh Market where we went in to get a pastry and water and asked some local folks the best way to see this district. They were very kind to us and told us exactly where to walk and encouraged us to just walk it on our own because it was well worth the walk but not to pay for it. We found ourselves exploring the beautifully designed houses the Louisiana way. They were mostly two-story house with iron black fencing around the whole house. Many homes had pillars on the Galla. Also, on the Galla was seating to stay cool in the Louisiana heat. As we found our way through the Garden District, we found a cemetery where many tours were going on and we just wandered in and explored. The tombs were made of big cemented headstones with family names row after row. The air felt crisp but refreshing as the sun shined down on us keeping us warm and secure. The smell of fresh southern brewed coffee began to fill the air as we left the cemetery. To our delight, we stumbled upon a local coffee shop inside what use to be an old stable which was now called the Rink. The Rink is filled with little shops including the coffee shop where we each treated ourselves to something to sip on as we explored the Rink. Across the walkway from the coffee shop was a bookstore which we later learned was named in as ‘One of the World’s best bookstores to visit.’ This was a lovely bookstore filled with great books to enjoy. It felt very cozy and quaint. I bought a great “coffee table” book called New Orleans Then and Now. There on pictures of historical buildings. One the left side is the historical picture and the right is the current picture. Each picture is labeled, and a small description is written to explain the building’s significance. This day was a very relaxing restful but fulfilling day that I enjoyed very much.
Inner Journey
I enjoyed getting to know the girls in my group on a more personal level. They each shared with me their journeys this far and some future plans of weddings and lives they were building. It was fun to see the joy and anticipation as they dreamed of their big days. I enjoyed building new friendships and making connections. As I relaxed and explored this new area of New Orleans, I realize I need to relax more and get away and make more memories with my younger two children still living at home. I also realize I need to set better priorities this semester and take care of myself to be a better mom and person. Taking a step back and thinking about life as I walked a normal neighborhood in this city was very insightful and therapeutic for the soul and it came at a perfect time as the semester is approaching us. I feel it’s important to take time to relax and refuel and it’s also important to reevaluate my parenting. This free day gave me an opportunity to do this. Another thing that walking the Garden District helped me reflect on, is the realization that all people are basically the same. We all want the same kind of things because we are all humans with similar needs and desires. It was enlightening to see regular Louisiana people living their ordinary lives just like I do in my hometown with my family. We all have needs, desires, problems, and blessings, but how we deal with each of these things is up to the individual. This was not only reflective for me but enlightening yet refreshing and renewing.
No comments:
Post a Comment