1-4-19
Outer Journey
Our first day was full!! We started a day in New Orleans off right with Beignets and Café Au Lait at the Original Café Du Monde Coffee Stand which was established in 1862 in the New Orleans French Market.
The Beignets were a sweet delight that I had never experienced before. The Café Au Lait had a unique taste that blended well with the Beignets but not something I would enjoy without the extra sweet treat of the Beignets. I learned the trick of tapping the excess powdered sugar into my Café Au Lait very quickly. Mmmmmm…this decreased the bitterness and blended these two flavors together even more. I enjoyed this early morning stroll to the French Quarters. I came down about two hours before the rest of the class to enjoy watching the sun come up over the city and get a feel of the layout of the land during the day. The sun looked spectacular coming up over the river and shining its warmth over the Cathedral. The steeple stood tall above the city reminding me of my faith and devotion. The air felt crispy and damp as I walked around Jackson Square exploring the land and listening to the quietness and knowing that soon this moment would be gone, and this area would be filled with people and drama. I could hear the street cleaners coming down the street spraying some disinfectant cleaners to wash away the nasty dirty smell of the night gone by. The air is filled with freshness to start the new day
Inner Journey
Starting my day off early and in quietness brings me peace and centers me. Venturing out in a new city finding my old familiars (coffee and the cathedral) helps me center myself to have courage for the day ahead of me. The cathedral was just splendid as the sun hit it and it reminded me of my foundation of beliefs and where my strength comes from. The Catholic church is so symbolic so seeing the steeple and statues reminded me that God is bigger than me and He is in control and has my back no matter where I go in this world even in an unfamiliar city.
Returning to nursing school as a nontraditional student has its challenges as well as its rewards. As I reflect on this fact and the past year that has proven this statement to be true, I am reminded of how I was led down this road and many blessings as well as the many accomplishments. I know I have a long way to go but with each passing class and experience from this week I know I am being formed into the person that I am meant to be. I look forward to this city and the many experiences that lay ahead to teach me and grow me in order to change me. These beignets have already changed me and my waistline.
No comments:
Post a Comment